Projects per year
- Health and Ethnicity
- Global Health including Non Communicable Diseases
- Sensory and Cognitive Impairments in Older adults
- Pedagogy and Curriculum Development using Co Design
- Nursing Education including Continuing Professional Development
- Methodological expertise with Qualitative research
- Self-monitoring of blood glucose (SMBG) in Tayside, Scotland, among people with Type 1 and Type 2 diabetes treated with insulin (Student completed in 2016).
- Operational Research on Uptake of Kangaroo Mother Care (KMC) for Low Birth Weight (LBW) Infants along a Facility-Community Continuum in a selected Sub District of Northern Karnataka, India (October, 2016) – University of Stirling International Impact Fellowship.
- Facilitating and evaluating the impacts of technology -enabled specialist diabetes service delivery to care homes, Scotland (October, 2016) – European Structural Investment Funds (ESIF) PhD Fellowship, University of the Highlands & Islands.
- Technology Enabled Dementia Education and Support (TEDES) for Health Care Professionals in Rural Scotland (April 2017) – ESIF Collaborative PhD Studentship, University of Edinburgh & University of the Highlands & Islands.
- How might the deployment of Digital Technologies improve mental health and reduce inequalities for young people in the Highlands and Islands Region? (2018) ESIF PhD Studentship, University of the Highlands & Islands.
- Bringing the Virtual into Reality: Immersive Virtual Environment Technology and Wellbeing for People Living with Dementia in Rural Settings: An Action Research Project (April 2018), City - Region Deal PhD Studentship, University of the Highlands & Islands.
- Adult Nursing inclusive of all specialities
- Care of Older adults
- Health & Wellbeing.
- Pedagogy; Curriculum and Programme Development
- Knowledge Exchange within international contexts.
- Research Methodology
- Leadership & Management
- Undergraduate and Postgraduate Nursing Education
BSc (Nursing) - 1987: College of Nursing, Christian Medical College, Vellore
University of Madras, India.
MSc (Medical-Surgical Nursing) - 1995:College of Nursing, Christian Medical College, Vellore
The Tamilnadu Dr MGR Medical University, Chennai, India.
PhD (March 2009) - School of Health, Community and Education studies - Northumbria University, Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom.
Senior Fellow of the UK Higher Education Academy (Jan 2016).
- Curriculum and Programme Development
- Academic Consultancy for Project Evaluations
- Consultancy on Nurse Education in Low and middle Income Countries
- Research Consultancy in Low and middle Income Countries
- Developing Dementia Training Programmes for Practitioners
- Academic Partnerships with the Third Sector
Doctor of Philosophy
Award Date: 19 Mar 2009
Master of Nursing Science
Award Date: 19 Jun 1995
Bachelor of Nursing
Award Date: 19 Jun 1987
Member of the Editorial Board of the Indian Journal of Continuing Nursing EducationDec 2016 → …
PhD Examiner - Board of Examiners2016 → …
External Examiner, BSc (Hons) Nursing Practice (Oman)Jun 2015 → …
Panel Member for Subject Health Review of Adult Health, University of the West of ScotlandMay 2015 → …
Member of the Editorial Board, Journal of Psychosocial Rehabilitation and Mental HealthJun 2013 → …
Reviewer for the Journal of Advanced NursingAug 2011 → …
Reviewer for the Journal of Cinical NursingOct 2007 → …
Member of the Editorial Board of the International Journal of Older People NursingDec 2005 → …
- 1 Similar Profiles
Dive into details
Select a country/territory to view shared publications and projects
1/07/19 → 30/06/22
1/03/19 → 28/02/22
DESNEHRA: Developing a Dignity Engagement Space for Nurse Education using a Human Rights Based Approach
1/03/19 → 28/02/22
Macaden, L., 14 Sep 2020, In: Indian Journal of Continuing Nursing Education. 21, 1, p. 6-11 7 p.
Research output: Contribution to journal › Article › peer-reviewOpen AccessFile28 Downloads (Pure)
A qualitative exploration of the experiences of community dwelling older adults with sensory impairment/s receiving poly pharmacy on their pharmaceutical care journeySmith, A., Macaden, L., Kroll, TH., Alhusein, N., Taylor, A., Killick, K., Stoddart, K. & Watson, M., 7 Aug 2019, In: Age and ageing. afz092, p. 1-8 8 p.
Research output: Contribution to journal › Article › peer-reviewOpen AccessFile1 Citation (Scopus)70 Downloads (Pure)
Diabetes, Care Homes and the Influence of Technology on Practice and Care Delivery in Care Homes: A Systematic Review and Qualitative SynthesisMathews, R., O'Malley, C., Hall, J., Macaden, L. & MacRury, S., 22 Apr 2019, In: JMIR Diabetes. 4, 2, p. 1-14 14 p., e11526.
Research output: Contribution to journal › Article › peer-reviewOpen AccessFile3 Citations (Scopus)42 Downloads (Pure)
The characteristics of effective technology-enabled dementia education for health and social care practitioners: protocol for a mixed studies systematic reviewPolson, R., Macaden, L., Muirhead, K., Clarke, C., Smyth, K. & O'Malley, C., 6 Dec 2019, In: Systematic Reviews. 8, 316.
Research output: Contribution to journal › Article › peer-reviewOpen AccessFile2 Citations (Scopus)46 Downloads (Pure)
"We're really not ready for this": A Qualitative Exploration of Community Pharmacy Personnel's Perspectives on the Pharmaceutical Care of Older People with Sensory Impairment.Alhusein, N., Killick, K., Macaden, L., Smith, A., Stoddart, K., Taylor, A., Kroll, T. & Watson, M., Apr 2019, In: Disability and Health Journal . 12, 2, p. 242-248 7 p.
Research output: Contribution to journal › Article › peer-reviewOpen AccessFile4 Citations (Scopus)35 Downloads (Pure)
Achieving Consensus on Continuing Professional Development Priorities for Registered Nurses in Rural and Remote India through Nominal Group TechniqueSmith, A., Macaden, L., Washington, M., Mony, P., John, V. & Dias, S., 29 Nov 2018, In: Open Journal of Nursing. 8, 11, p. 848-859 12 p.
Research output: Contribution to journal › Article › peer-reviewOpen AccessFile3 Downloads (Pure)
Macaden, L., Smith, A., Kroll, T., Stoddart, K. & Watson, M., Oct 2018, In: International Journal of Pharmacy Practice. 26, 5, p. 380-386 7 p.
Research output: Contribution to journal › Article › peer-reviewOpen AccessFile5 Citations (Scopus)4 Downloads (Pure)
Macaden, Leah (Recipient), Apr 2005
Prize: Prize (including medals and awards)
Macaden, Leah (Recipient), 25 Apr 2018
Prize: Other distinctionFile
Macaden, Leah (Recipient), Apr 2018
Prize: Other distinction
Press / Media
1 item of Media coverage
1 item of Media coverage
1 Media contribution
MSc in Health and Wellbeing of the Older Person : Education Provider of the Year, General Practice Awards (Nov, 2014)
1 item of Media coverage