Projects per year
I'm a sociologist and applied health researcher, with expertise in qualitative research methods and service evaluation. I'm interested in:
- people's experiences of living with health conditions and how these can inform service improvement
- patients' and informal carers' access to and use of health and social care services
- design and delivery of health and social care in hospitals and community settings
- translation of research evidence into practice
- understanding variation in experiences of health and illness and the responsiveness of health and social care systems to individual and collective needs using complexity theory
- understanding the ways in which health and wellbeing is shaped by human relations with nature, place and technologies using concepts and theories from medical sociology and health geography (eg socio-material theories, actor-network theory, therapeutic landscapes).
I am currently exploring all the above interests in relation to communities and services in rural and remote settings, where the relations between people, systems, place, landscape, infrastructure and technology all play a critical part in promoting the health and wellbeing of the population.
I also have a long-standing special interest in the secondary analysis of qualitative data. This includes the re-use of data that has been formally archived, informally shared or self-collected. I have published extensively on the topic, including secondary studies using each of these sources.
- HM Sociology
- medical sociology
- R Medicine (General)
- patient experiences
- HT Communities. Classes. Races
- rural communities
- 1 Similar Profiles
Dive into details
Select a country/territory to view shared publications and projects
- 1 Active
Heaton, J., 30 Sep 2021, In: Qualitative Inquiry. p. 1-10 10 p.
Research output: Contribution to journal › Article › peer-reviewOpen AccessFile2 Downloads (Pure)
Identification of the characteristics of occlusive myocardial infarction: Are there any tell-tale signs?Knoery, C., McEwan, K. M., Manktelow, M. M., Watt, J. W., Smith, J. S., Iftikhar, A. I., Rjoob, K. R., Bond, R. B., Gilligan, V. M., Peace, A. P., Heaton, J. & Leslie, S. J. L., 14 Oct 2021, European Heart Journal. 1 ed. Vol. 42.
Research output: Chapter in Book/Report/Conference proceeding › Conference contributionOpen Access
Progression to unscheduled hospital admissions in people with diabetes: a qualitative interview studyPerrin, N. ED., Heaton, J., MacRury, S. M., Friel, K. M. & Coates, V., 28 Apr 2021, In: British Journal of General Practice Open.
Research output: Contribution to journal › Article › peer-reviewOpen AccessFile3 Downloads (Pure)
Heaton, J., 5 May 2021, SAGE Research Methods Foundations. Atkinson, P., Delamont, S., Cernat, A., Sakshaug, J. W. & Williams, R. A. (eds.). SAGE Publications Ltd
Research output: Chapter in Book/Report/Conference proceeding › Chapter (peer-reviewed) › peer-review
The use of Twitter by people with young-onset dementia: A qualitative analysis of narratives and identity formation in the age of social mediaTalbot, C. V., O'Dwyer, S. T., Clare, L. & Heaton, J., 25 Mar 2021, In: Dementia. 16 p.
Research output: Contribution to journal › Article › peer-reviewOpen AccessFile22 Downloads (Pure)
Factors influencing hospital conveyance following ambulance attendance for people with diabetes: a retrospective observational studyvan Woerden, H., Bucholc, M., Clubbs Coldron, B., Coates, V., Heaton, J., McCann, M., Perrin, N., Waterson, R., Watson, A. & MacRury, S., 15 Aug 2020, In: Diabetic Medicine. p. 1-9 9 p., e14384.
Research output: Contribution to journal › Article › peer-reviewOpen AccessFile20 Downloads (Pure)
Future outlook of people living alone with early-stage dementia and their non-resident relatives and friends who support themHeaton, J., Martyr, A., Nelis, S., Markova, I., Morris, R., Roth, I., Woods, R. & Clare, L., 27 Apr 2020, In: Ageing & Society. p. 1-21 21 p.
Research output: Contribution to journal › Article › peer-reviewOpen AccessFile2 Citations (Scopus)7 Downloads (Pure)
- 1 Types of External academic engagement - External PhD Supervision