Opportunities for new approaches to distance and open education, especially computer-based distributed learning systems, as a contribution to improved development on and in rural communities.
- The impacts of online education and ICT services, especially for rural areas.
- Rural and Community Development Studies
- Human Ecology - The interface between nature conservation and the development of human communities.
Specific research Interests
- Opportunities for new approaches to distance and open education, especially computer-based distributed learning systems, as a contribution to improved development on and in rural communities.
- The animation of grassroots community development, especially mechanisms for participation in integrated rural development initiatives and the practice of participatory action research by rural communities
- Practical systems for securing sustainable development in rural communities.
- Cultural and social issues as a mechanism for development (especially among minority cultures).
- Rural landuse, land ownership, and land management, including small-scale agricultural activities and the crofting system in particular.
- Support and training for leadership development in rural areas.
- e-tips (e-textbook institutional publishing service) (lead partner, with Edinburgh Napier University); funded by JISC (Joint Information Services Committee, for UK Higher Education) (2014-2017)
- Sustaining livelihoods in remote and fragile communities: The role and impact of ferry transport. Funded by Highlands and Islands Enterprise and Calmac (2014-2015)
- Higher Education Academic funded project on Education for Sustainable Development - co-participant (2011)
- NetUniversity: The development of open educational resources and online education with academic partners in Iceland, Sweden, and Labrador, Canada (2008-2010)
- Edushare: Distributed Learning Capacity-Building for Bhutan, Nepal, Cambodia, and the Maldives (EU Asia-Link II Programme, 2007-2010)
- THETA: Tourism, Heritage, and Environment: Technology Applications (Highlands and Islands Enterprise2007)
- EU Grundtvik GOAL project to research systems to support the Generation of Online Adult Learning
- The Development and Management of Sustainable Systems for Distributed Higher Education in Nepal and Bhutan (EU-Asia Link)
- The Connecticon:Learning for the connected generation.
- "How to Use Broadband" for community and business development.
- Critical factors in the success of one-stop-shops as a model of service delivery within rural locations. (Scottish Executive)
- eLearning models desk study (JISC)
- The Use of Computer Networks for Community and Business Development
- Indicators for sustainable rural development at the community level
- "Operational features for managing sustainable development in Amazonia", (The EU funded Amazonia21 Project.)
- Review of international best practice in service delivery to remote and rural areas (contract for the Scottish Executive Rural Affairs Department)