Projects per year
Since 2015, Dan has held the new post of Lifelong Learning and Outreach Archaeologist with the Archaeology Institute and is responsible for developing, implementing and managing community archaeology projects in the Highlands and Islands region. Dan also teaches on undergraduate and postgraduate modules, develops short courses and works with numerous community stakeholder groups and local schools. The post also involves developing and managing the Archaeology Institute volunteer and work placement programme. Key achievements have been to engage new groups, such as youth and schools, in archaeology and develop social media outreach.
Dan’s career in archaeology spans 20 years starting with a First Class Honours degree in Archaeological Science from the University of Sheffield finishing in 2000. He worked in commercial archaeology throughout the UK until completing an MA in Archaeological Practice with distinction at the University of the Highlands and Islands Archaeology Institute in 2008. Since then he has worked for ORCA as a Project Officer (commercial, research and community projects) and a Teaching Officer for the archaeology department. Dan completed a three year community training project (2009-2011) with his Hoy and South Walls Landscape Project, funded by the Scapa Flow Landscape Partnership Scheme (HLF).
Dan is research active in Landscape Archaeology, Contemporary Archaeology, Art/Archaeology and experimental creative practice in archaeology. This includes a number of residencies, collaborative/independent projects and workshops, and also conference attendance, conference speaking and publication output.
Dan has been a member of the Contemporary and Historical Archaeology in Theory (CHAT) conference standing committee since 2015.
Landscape Archaeology, Contemporary Archaeology, experimental mapping, Creative Archaeology, interdisciplinary collaboration, community archaeology, British prehistory, survey and mapping.
Current project portfolio:
- Mapping Magnus: Community, Research and Training Project (for Magnus 900, 2017-18) Client: Orkney Islands Council (Funding: Heritage Lottery Fund)
- Listening to the Piers: Art /Science workshops for Stromness Per Mare. Client: Stromness Museum (Funding: Heritage Lottery Fund)
- Rousay Landscapes of Change. (2015 – present) Excavation, survey, outreach. (Funding: Being Human Festival; Orkney Islands Council, Heritage Lottery Fund, Rousay Egilsay & Wyre Development Trust)
- Staffin, Skye (2015 – present). Excavation, outreach. Client: Staffin Community Trust (Funding: Scottish Funding Council Innovation Voucher, Highland Council)
- Orkney World Heritage Site Field walking Project. Outreach. Client: Orkney Archaeology Society (Funding: Heritage Lottery Fund)
- Kirkwall THI Archaeology Programme (2016-2017). Excavation, survey, outreach, schools. Client: Orkney Islands Council (funding: Heritage Lottery Fund)
- Orkney World Heritage Site community map (2016). Community map of Heart of Neolithic Orkney World heritage Site. Client: HES (funding HES). Download: https://www.historicenvironment.scot/archives-and-research/publications/publication/?publicationId=023728f8-6240-4a06-a4fd-a6270090b2f1
- Braes of Ha’Breck, Wyre, Orkney (2007- present): excavation of an early Neolithic settlement with Dr. Antonia Thomas. Final Reports in progress (Funding: Orkney Islands Council, Orkney Archaeology Society).
- Links House Farm, Stronsay, Orkney (2008-2009): excavation of a Mesolithic settlement. Publication in prep (Funding: Historic Environment Scotland).
- New Short Courses: Introduction to Archaeology evening class (2016); Field Archaeology short course (2017).
Residencies / collaborative / independent work:
Flow Country: collaborative project with Jasper Coppes (NL), 16mm short film (2016)
Map Orkney Month: Participatory mapping project, Orkney and elsewhere (2015)
The Characters: collaboration with photographer Tonje Birkeland (NO) (2014-2017)
Archaeologist in Residence, Papay Gyro Nights art festival, Papa Westray Orkney (2013-14)
Test Trenches: collaborative project, residency in Pier Arts Centre, workshops (2010-11)
1/03/17 → 1/05/17
Lee, D., 6 Dec 2019, In : Livingmaps Review. 2019, 7, p. 1-6 6 p.
Research output: Contribution to journal › ArticleOpen AccessFile29 Downloads (Pure)
Thomas, A., Lee, D., Frederick, U. & White, C., 19 Feb 2018, In : Journal of Contemporary Archaeology. 4, 2 (2017), p. 121-129 9 p., 1.
Research output: Contribution to journal › ArticleOpen AccessFile6 Citations (Scopus)23 Downloads (Pure)
Lee, D., 27 Jul 2018, Re-Mapping Archaeology: Critical Perspectives, Alternative Mappings. Gillings, M., Haciguzeller, P. & Lock, G. (eds.). Oxon & New York: Routledge, p. 143-176 33 p.
Research output: Chapter in Book/Report/Conference proceeding › Chapter3 Citations (Scopus)
Lee, D. & Coppes, J., 5 May 2018, Glasgow: Publication Studio Glasgow. 125 p.
Research output: Book/Report › Book
Lee, D. & Gibbon, S. J., Dec 2018, In : Orkney Archaeology Review. 3, p. 66-78 13 p.
Research output: Contribution to journal › Article
Walking in-between: Field Walking in the Heart of Neolithic Orkney World Heritage Site buffer zone at Maeshowe and BrodgarLee, D., Jun 2017, In : Orkney Archaeology Review. 2 , p. 78-84 7 p.
Research output: Contribution to journal › ArticleOpen AccessFile22 Downloads (Pure)
Lee, D., Mar 2016, In : Livingmaps Review. 1, 1, 25 p., 36.
Research output: Contribution to journal › ArticleFile297 Downloads (Pure)
27 Apr 2019
Activity: Participating in or organising an event › Participation in workshop, seminar, course
Sarah Jane Gibbon (Speaker), , Jen Harland (Speaker), , Ingrid Mainland (Speaker), , Daniel Lee (Speaker), , Sarah Jane Gibbon (Organiser), , Daniel Lee (Organiser), , Jen Harland (Organiser), & Ingrid Mainland (Organiser)5 Oct 2019
Activity: Participating in or organising an event › Participation in workshop, seminar, courseFile
6 Jun 2018
Activity: Other › Types of Public engagement and outreach - Public lecture/debate/seminar
Contemporary and Historical Archaeology in Theory conference standing committee (External organisation)
Daniel Lee (Chair)4 Nov 2017 → …
Activity: Membership › Membership of committee