Projects per year
The Language Sciences Institute (LSI) aims to connect innovation and expertise in research and learning and will use the collective power and multi-disciplinary strengths of the UHI academic network to reconfigure current approaches to the revitalisation of minority languages. With a particular focus on the traditional Gaelic speaking communities of Scotland, the LSI will build on the work of the Soillse project.
The distinctive features of the LSI are:
- A research and learning institute embedded within a minority language community.
- An open and collaborative approach (between researchers and community participants) to minority language research.
- The co-design of new research methodologies and innovative knowledge exchange processes that will help shape both a national and international perspective on Gaelic language and culture.
- A practice centred approach to language research addressing the challenges of social and economic sustainability within minority language communities.
- Linking localised minority language situations to international perspectives on language revitalisation processes which involve the community in the design of interventions, policy and research.
- Supporting imaginative and progressive language planning and policy initiatives.
Collaborations from the last five years
Dive into details
Select a country/territory to view shared publications and projects
1/05/23 → 31/07/24
1/06/20 → 31/12/21
Ó Giollagáin, C. & Ó Curnáin, B., 28 Sept 2023, The Routledge Handbook of Language Policy and Planning. Gazzola, M., Grin, F., Cardinal, L. & Heugh, K. (eds.). 1 ed. UK: Routledge Taylor & Francis Group, p. 396 20 p.
Research output: Chapter in Book/Report/Conference proceeding › Chapter (peer-reviewed) › peer-reviewOpen AccessFile52 Downloads (Pure)
Including the Threatened First-language Gaelic Vernacular Community in Gaelic Promotion and Protection: A Rebuttal to McLeod et al.Ó Giollagáin, C., Caimbeul, I., Ó Curnáin, B., Camshron, G. & Moireach, P., 10 Feb 2022, In: Scottish Affairs. 31, 1, p. 122 132 p.
Research output: Contribution to journal › Article › peer-reviewOpen AccessFile9 Downloads (Pure)
Ó Giollagáin, C. & Caimbeul, I., 7 May 2021, In: Scottish Affairs. 30, 2, p. 178-211 33 p.
Research output: Contribution to journal › Article › peer-reviewOpen AccessFile5 Citations (Scopus)10 Downloads (Pure)
- 1 Invited talk
Conchúr Ó Giollagáin (Speaker)27 Jun 2023
Activity: Talk / Presentation / Podcast / Webinar › Invited talkFile
Language and culture as a societal asset: Strategic alignment of language policy to a sustainable socio-economic market for gaelicAuthor: Cameron, G., 30 May 2023
Student thesis: Doctoral Thesis › Doctor of Philosophy (awarded by UHI)File